The SID-Washington Education for Development Workgroup and Education Development Center present:
Event: Qualitative Transformations: Teacher Education Reforms in Pakistan
When: Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:00–1:30 p.m.
Where: Education Development Center; 1025 Thomas Jefferson Street NW, Suite 700 West; Washington, DC 20007
Education Development Center (EDC) and the SID-Washington Education for Development workgroup is hosting a panel discussion on the efforts underway to improve the quality of teacher education in Pakistan. Speakers will discuss the investments made by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through a five-year project aimed at systemic improvements to the Pakistani teacher education system. Speakers include Pakistani university leadership spearheading these efforts, international experts specializing in education reform in Pakistan, and US government representatives.
Learn how the developments already underway are shaping a new generation of qualified teachers across the country, and explore what challenges and opportunities remain for educators, administrators, policymakers, and international organizations involved in these efforts.
This event is part of a US study tour designed to help 22 high-level university administrators and provincial (state-level) Department of Education secretaries refine their strategic plans for implementing the new teacher education strategies in Pakistan. While in the US, the administrators will gain exposure to successful models and strategies and interact with educational policy leaders and implementers to exchange experiences and reflect on best practices. The participating representatives will also be present at this event.
- Mr. Muhammad Tariq Khan, Senior Education Advisor, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/Pakistan
- Mr. Muhammad Siddique Memon, Secretary, Department of Education, Sindh
- Mr. Sharafat Khan, Additional Secretary, Department of Education, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK)
- Ms. Maryam Rab, Registrar, Fatima Jinnah Women’s University, Punjab
- Dr. Gita Steiner-Khamsi, Professor of Education, Teachers College, Columbia University (Discussant)
Moderated by Dr. Stephen Anzalone, Vice President and Director of Asia Regional Center